Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I set out to mow the grass last night


I set out to mow the grass last night,
It was tall and wet with dew.
I didn’t think it would be such a fight,
Ah, how little I knew.

The fight wasn’t due to the weeds or the grass,
And the mower’s working fine.
The fight was inside my head, alas,
As I journeyed back in time.

For this was the place we used to play,
My two little boys and me.
It wasn’t just grass or a lawn back then,
But a field, mowed perfectly.

There were many great games on this field of lore
And I remembered them all.
From soccer and football to golf and more,
We played from spring to fall.

Flea-flickers and World Cup ruled the day
I got to be the QB!
I’m not sure my boys know, even today,
How much that has meant to me.

Out there playing ‘till late in the night,
Mom would have to call us in.
No matter the game or if there was light,
I always got the win.

Before the rain comes, I pick up the pace,
Is that sprinkling on my head?
The rain can’t be landing just on my face,
It’s coming from inside instead.

Trying to focus it’s getting so hard,
Good memories flood over again.
My lines aren’t straight, I’m all over the yard
Who cares, I’ll never complain.

I set out to mow the grass last night,
But the field we used is now gone.
All that’s left is grass that needs mowed,
And my memories, holding on.

8 comments:

Jeff said...

Wow, that's good!

Mike Myers said...

Thanks!

Unknown said...

As a parent of 2 college age girls, I know your heart. Thank you for penning it so beautifully.

Joanna B said...

Nice. Even though I'm a mom and never played those games, the sentiments rang so true.

Mike Myers said...

Thanks, Leslie. So nice to hear from you!

Mike Myers said...

Thanks, Joanna. Glad to hear it's not just me!

Charles and Jean Myers said...

Dad says, "I've followed your blogs over the years, but this one is especially good. "77

Mike Myers said...

Thank him for me!