Friday, November 22, 2013

Breaking up is hard to do, especially when it’s not your relationship


My 16-year-old son and his girlfriend of several months have recently separated. They dissolved their relationship.They changed their status to ‘single’. Okay, they broke up.

 

Funny thing is, I think my wife and I are more upset than they are.

 

Oh, don’t get me wrong, My son is not very happy right now, he’s been pretty somber and quiet lately — even more so than usual — and they still aren’t talking at all, which is sad. But we really liked this one, so we’re taking it kind of hard, too.

 

Please don’t tell him.

 

It may be a bit strange that we’re sad, even though it’s not technically our relationship. I don’t know, but that’s the way we both feel. And, I suspect, it may be the way his girlfriend's parents feel, too. The kids have known each other since they were little, so it made for a nice story when they decided to date and, as the saying goes, they made a nice couple.

 

not-so-small part of me wants to reach out to her parents and console them (okay, myself); you know, maybe get together for coffee or something. But that might be weird, especially if they don’t feel like we do. And what if the kids found out we were meeting behind their backs…what if they saw us at Starbucks? Awkward.

 

I also can’t help but wonder: will they be able to patch things up? Can they go back to being friends or will they never speak again? The state of their relationship is an interesting metaphor for our own relationship with our fast-maturing son…both are quickly slipping out of our control.

 

On the upside, we’ve gotten to spend more time with him recently. He actually suggested a family game night a couple of weekends ago, where my wife, good person that she is, may have allegedly thrown a five-hour game of Monopoly out of sympathy. What moms won’t do for their sons. We all had fun.

 

Of course, we know these things are all part of growing up and that both kids will be fine, regardless of whether they are together or apart. They will both learn from this and their next relationship (or when the get back together, he said, hopefully) will be better for it.

 

It’s still hard watching you child hurting, whether it’s physically or emotionally, but we know it’s a burden all parents have to bear. It’s a trade we make for all of the good times and one I would gladly make, because the good times really are that good.

 

Hey, if you happen to see my son anytime soon, maybe you could ask him about his girlfriend? I’m still holding out hope.

2 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Thank you.

I am worried about having to go through something similar myself. I appreaciate your perspective more than you know!

Mike Myers said...

Thanks for stopping by, I hope it helps!